Multi-camera Cinfo technology will allow cable operator R to offer all the matches of Xiria handball teams
On a ceremony attended by several sports authorities and federation representatives of handball clubs and other sports in Galicia, the agreement between R and handball club Xiria was made official so that all the matches will be accessible to R clients from a set-top box app.
The new service can be provided thanks to the Cinfo technology (see video), which allows to automate all event production tasks so that it could be affordable for the club, and provides an innovative multi-camera interface which let the fans have control to choose, at any time and instantly, the camera view they prefer to watch the match.
Carballo's mayor was the host of the ceremony where attendees could see how the service works in a demonstration made with the cameras installed in Carballo’s sports venue "Vila de Noia", and connected using R optical fibre.
Carballo, November 23th of 2017.- This evening, the Forum Carballo congregated several Galician public figures from government and sports in general, and from the handball world in particular, to attend the presentation of R's multi-camera service, based on the technology that belongs to CINFO (R subsidiary company and developer of the core platform). Thanks to this system, the handball club will be on R television and the audience will have access to its teams matches.
Among the attendees were José Luis Pérez Ouro, president of the Galician Handball Federation; Luciano Calvo, Xiria's president; Amancio Varela, from the Galician Football Federation; Bruno Sánchez, from the Baseball and Softball Club Cambre, and Marcos José Trigo, Carballo's Sports City Councilor, among other personalities from sports in this region.
Carballo's mayor, Evencio Ferrero, expressed his satisfaction about a Carballo club could use this innovative multi-camera television platform.
Alfredo Ramos, R's CEO considered essential that "new technologies continue to be progressively incorporated into the world of sports to squeeze all their possibilities. In addition, Galician fans can enjoy seeing their teams matches at the best quality".
Ricardo Añón, Secretary of Xiria Handball Schools, expressed his pride in the use of the platform, so that associates and fans will be able to enjoy watching their teams matches on television and choosing the camera view he prefers.
how Cinfo technology makes this service possible
Cinfo technology is based on the smart video processing and data streams in the cloud, composing innovative user experiences in real time, with differential features compared to other solutions available in the market.
The use of Cinfo technology applied to the world of sports lets fans have an innovative way to access their teams matches through a multi-camera interface with immediate camera change, and provides tools to reduce costs in event production so that clubs or federations with limited budget can afford it.
Cinfo multi-camera platform is deployed on the cloud and processes all the video and data flows available. In a basic deployment case, a 4K camera with a 180º view angle is installed in the sport venue covering the entire area where the match is played. This can be complemented with more cameras to offer additional points of view of the match (public, benches, ...) or with other data sources (for example, data from sensors deployed at the venue or wore by the players).
For each deployment, the sports venue must have the required fibre connectivity, so that can be guaranteed that all the streams reach the cloud Cinfo platform with the required quality to offer the best user experience.
From the cloud platform, and depending on the use case to cover, different tasks are carried out to add value to the user experience when accessing the sport event:
- automatic activity tracking: based on the video streams from the permanent cameras deployed at the venue and without any camera operator, Cinfo platform automatically performs the full match production applying smart game tracking algorithms to choose at each moment the right camera, zoom in / zoom out, ...
- generation of virtual cameras based on the video streams from physically deployed cameras and from the available metadata sources
- generation of an interactive multi-camera interface, where the user can access to any of the generated virtual cameras (including the automatic one) from his device. To provide this multi-camera experience to the end user the device has to interact with the Cinfo platform playlist server, but the access to the video chunks in the different qualities is directed against any CDN, so costs are equivalent to other traditional streaming services. The Cinfo multi-camera interface differentiating feature compared to other solutions is that the camera change is instantaneous, so that the user never loses the match action when she decides to change the camera, an essential user experience feature for watching sports events to avoid discourage its use
- metainformation extraction from video analysis (for example, baskets, goals, fouls, ...) to automatically help enriching the available information of the event
- automatic generation of highlights and video summaries of the event without human intervention
- option to automatic publishing against Facebook or YouTube of the generated video content
- persistent events storage to make possible the access not only to the live events, but to the entire repository of events for on demand access
- option to produce the event manually and remotely, by accessing a virtual mixer to work with any of the available virtual cameras and to overlap his own graphic resources on the output video
- on roadmap, using this same Cinfo technology and relying on hardware devices with specific features, it will also be possible to provide 360º immersive experiences with virtual reality helmets, so that the user could "enter in the event" and see it like a physical assistant to the sport venue
open to any team
The platform that will start to be used by the Xiria handball club to let their matches be available through the R operator set-top box, is open to any other club or team interested on being available on R television. The Galician operator participates as technology partner and is responsible for all the required deployment on the sport venue, so that it is ready to work against the multi-camera Cinfo platform on the cloud.
On the other hand, the club is responsible for the contents broadcasted, the rights management and the required authorizations.